BLOG
What exactly do we mean by ‘detox’?
What exactly do we mean by ‘detox’?
27th Apr, 2016
TAGS: detox

Having the word ‘detox’ in our name can sometimes be a bit of a double-edged sword. It has worked well in cementing our place in the wellness industry and helps people immediately recognise our food as healthy. However we wouldn’t place ourselves under the traditional sense of the word ‘detox’. We are very much about celebrating what we can have, not what we can’t.

So what exactly do we mean by ‘detox’? These days our bodies work harder than ever, using highly regulated processes to rid us of toxins and protect against the damage and stresses caused by modern life. Eliminating toxins are what our liver, lungs, bowel, kidneys and skin are for - and they're working their socks off to keep you in prime condition. But with increased pollution, frenetic lifestyles and diets high in processed foods, it has become even more important to be mindful of what we are putting into our bodies, and to give them a break from the things that can cause unnecessary stress.

At The Detox Kitchen we have a simple goal: to create delicious recipes that work with your body, not against it, giving it the best chance to do what it does naturally. In our dishes we limit those elements that can adversely affect health, and maximise the foods that nourish and nurture.

I have seen first-hand how a varied, nutrient-rich diet, free from processed foods, can have a transformative effect on the body. My life is very busy and I have in the past struggled with my stress levels, often reaching for ‘quick fix’ foods to keep me going. As a result, I have suffered from IBS, stomach ulcers, and poor skin, frequently having to endure their uncomfortable, energy-draining symptoms on a daily basis. I have also listened to countless friends who have turned to faddy diets to overcome weight issues, leading to poor energy and emotional struggles. These in turn often leave them lacking in key nutrients, feeling even more tired and developing a negative attitude towards food.

All of this spurred me to start up a convenient detox delivery service (and later our delis), offering simple, tasty food that would tackle these kinds of problems. Our recipes and food offer the perfect diet for anyone looking to improve their health through the food they eat. To achieve this, we put plant-based wholefoods, variety and flavour at the heart of our cooking, and we leave out wheat, dairy and refined sugar. This may sound restrictive, but it really isn’t, as soon as you start down this path you’ll see how simple it can be.

I tend to dip in and out of our detox programmes, living by an 80/20 split: 80% of the time I eat food that is free of wheat, dairy and refined sugar, and for the other 20% I eat whatever I want.

RELATED ARTICLES
It's a Pancake Kind of Day

Who says you can't have dessert for breakfast? Our healthy buckwheat blueberry pancakes are the perfect guilt-free indulgence to satisfy any sweet tooth. So start flipping those frying pans because you will definitely want to whip up a batch of this fluffy goodness.

The Active Detox

The Active Detox has been developed in order to fully support healthy eating and exercise in order to make it as enjoyable, manageable and effective as possible. This 1800-calorie package supplies the perfect combination of nutrients for those leading an active lifestyle, while still leaving you feeling light, energised and nourished.

Matcha Coming At Cha!

Ladies and gentlemen, put down your green tea. I present Mr Matcha, our new detoxifying best friend, now available at our Kingly Street deli.

We take away the stress of planning, shopping and cooking healthy meals.

Simply select the package that is right for you, choose your start date and duration, and look forward to your first delivery of wholesome food.



studio
Find The Louisa Drake Method’s first boutique fitness studio on the lower ground floor of our flagship deli in Fitzrovia.
blog
Home to delicious recipes and regularly updated content, covering all things health, wellbeing and of course, food.